Aging Parents Cohort
Are you walking the path of aging parents?
It’s not uncommon to feel:
—Torn between wanting (and needing) to help them and your own ministry
—Alone (your teammates mean well, but they don’t really get it)
—Overwhelmed by all of the issues that exist with aging parents
Thanks to the many who participated in our survey on Aging Parents and Cross-Cultural Work. What came through loud and clear is that everyone’s story is unique and holds both beauty and pain. When 12 clear themes emerged, we thought, “Hey, a year has 12 months!” We also thought, “Because everyone’s situation is different, instead of creating material that may not hit your specific need, what if we have intentional conversations and support each other around these 12 themes for the next year?”
Thanks to those who went before you and helped us understand the path you’re on, you don’t have to go it alone when it comes to navigating aging parents and cross-cultural work! For the next 12 months you can be part of a community who is walking a similar path.
What you’ll get:
1. Monthly Zoom calls that will equip you and allow you to talk with others (recorded)
2. A private facebook group where you can ask questions, vent, and pray for each other
3. A list of resources
Topics covered in the monthly Zoom calls:
1. Every journey is unique
2. Communicating with siblings
3. The role of faith (your parents’, siblings’, and yours)
4. Transitions you and your aging parents might experience
5. Legal and financial issues with aging parents
6. Property and Belongings (helping with maintenance and/or downsizing)
7. The underlying question: To return or stay?
8. Supporting from a distance
9. The Big 3: Safety, Comfort, and Dignity
10. Navigating aging parents with an agency, a board, or independently
11. Grief experienced with aging parents
12. Doctors appointments and declining abilities
This group will run from September 2022 to August 2023.
We’ll do a survey after registration is closed to find the best time for the zoom calls based on where people are located who register for this support group.
The path may still be difficult, we can’t deny that. But what if instead of feeling torn, alone, and overwhelmed, you felt understood, connected, and able to hear God say, “Well done, good and faithful child to your parents.”
Registration closes August 31, 2022